Cutting across boundaries – local authorities around the Solent working together for a better future for South Hampshire
We are a partnership of twelve local authorities around the Solent which aim to improve the environmental, cultural and economic performance of the South Hampshire area.
We work together with organisations such as the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership, government agencies, transport and infrastructure bodies and many others – to dissolve the boundaries of our individual members to successfully meet challenges together, and make the most of the opportunities that can be shared across the wider South Hampshire area.
The Partnership for South Hampshire (PfSH) focuses on four key areas of work:
- Housing (duty to cooperate, nutrient mitigation, strategic flood risk assessment)
- Energy and green environment (for example the Greenprint for South Hampshire)
- Governance for Bird Aware Solent
- Cultural and creative industry initiatives (facilitating creative industries (Creative Network South), enhancing quality of life through a diverse and vibrant cultural offer, using culture and heritage to create a sense of identity and distinctiveness
Formed in 2003, PfSH is a great example of local authorities, local partners and government agencies working together for the benefit of the people of living in, working in and visiting the region.
Despite our ever-changing environment, PfSH maintains its successful track record in meeting its priorities and focusses on adding value to what we consider will help to make our region thrive. PfSH’s business plan identifies the following focusses for its work – which cut across the boundaries of individual local planning authorities:
- Sustainably increasing the supply of new homes and the required infrastructure to support them (PfSH does not create the housing numbers or the need for new homes – it is the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) that sets out the minimum number of new homes required of PfSH authorities through its standard methodology)
- Supporting the creative and digital sector
- Supporting energy and green environment initiatives
- Developing joint services in areas of work with which PfSH is engaged